The Fort Loramie Historical Association
Was formed in 1971 by a group of interested citizens with the purpose of collecting and preserving historical artifacts associated with the history of the area. The association owns and operates the Wilderness Trail Museum . The museum displays include Indian artifacts, mementos of the Miami – Erie canal era, a military room, a doll room and several rooms of period furniture in addition to a typical turn of the century bar room, a music room and the country store. The association also has a barn with old time farm equipment and a log cabin in the center of the old canal area. Members have published a history of Pierre Loramie’s trading post and the supply fort for which the town is named.
In order to maintain the museum building and grounds, association members hold several fund raising events each year, most notably the Williamsburg-style Christmas dinners, which are held annually during the first two weeks of December. All association members are volunteers.
The museum is available to the public for viewing at any time by appointment. The museum is open in the summer, 1:00-4:00 pm on Sundays.
Located in historic Fort Loramie, Ohio, the wilderness trail museum stands along the banks of the Miami-Erie canal in western Ohio, part of Ohio’s historic west heritage tour.
In 1769 Louis Lorimier, a French-Canadian fur trader built a trading post just north of the present-day village of Fort Loramie. Loramie traded in furs with the Wyandotte and Shawnee Indian tribes.